Unlimited English


Daily English 417 - Getting Travel Documents

Complete Lesson

Not a member? Join now.


Slow Speed begins at: 1:29
Explanation begins at: 3:27
Normal Speed begins at: 16:18

Joyce: We need to apply for our passports now if we want to have them in time for our trip to McQuillanland.

Steven: I have a passport.

Joyce: Yes, but it expired last year. You need to renew it before you can get a visa. McQuillanland requires a visa and vaccinations before they’ll allow entry into the country.

Steven: Okay, okay, where is the application? I thought U.S. citizens could travel freely in McQuillanland.

Joyce: That used to be true, but their policies have changed. We also need to bring our applications to their consulate in person, with all of the supporting documents.

Steven: Fine. The application asks which visa classification we’re applying for. Should I check student or tourist?

Joyce: Even though we’re taking a language course while we’re there, we’re asking for a tourist visa. We can stay for three months on a tourist visa.

Steven: What are they going to do if we overstay our visa, deport us?

Joyce: Yes they will, and you don’t want to deal with the McQuillanland authorities. They’re not known for being kind to lawbreakers.

Steven: Those McQuillanlanders are my kind of people.

Category: Travel